Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Family and Summer 2012

After a comment posted on twitter by my favorite Ottawa Senators PA Announcer, simply saying "Best part of Summer 2012:", I started thinking about it.

I remember working all summer in a little cubicle in an office building, looking outside, wishing I was retired. I thought, well, summer sure was horrible.  I barely got any vacation and all I did was work.

Then I started thinking about it more and realized that, no, that's NOT all I did this summer.

I spent  a lot of time with family.  There was a family reunion where we celebrated my grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary and my dad's 60th birthday at the same time.  There was another one a week or so later where we celebrated my uncle's 50th birthday.  We went to my dad's sister's house just to spend the day swimming and enjoying each others' company.  My 2 nieces spent a few days with me in my house where we went to the park, had movie nights and just had fun.  My nephew celebrated his 1st birthday and being the fantastic aunt that I am, I bought him some nets and some hockey sticks.  We also went to the cottage and spent time together as a family.  There were also the multiple times where we just got together during the week or weekends.

To be honest, my summer was fantastic. 

After losing my grandmother (dad's mom)  in February, it makes you realize that all the times you do get to see family, even if only for a few minutes, is not to be taken for granted.  You may not always get along with them, but that doesn't matter at all.  In the end, they are your family and will always be. 

Any time you get to spend with them, whether they are siblings, parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews, even friends that you consider family, should always be cherished and remembered fondly.

After my moment of thinking, "Summer was horrible because I worked the entire time", I realized that it wasn't so bad after all.  I'm so grateful that my ENTIRE family lives close enough that I can see them whenever I want.  We might not see each other as often as we'd like, but I will never take for granted the amount of time I can spend with each and every one of them.

I'm glad that I was able to give some thought to my summer and how great it actually was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment