Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Money - Joys of being consumer debt free

About 8 years ago, I was in trouble.  BIG trouble financially.  I had a good job that paid well, but I was spending way above my means.   I also had pre-existing debt that had been following me since College.  Of course, I kept this hidden from everyone around me. (or so I thought)

One of my dreams was to buy a house.  Yes, I could rent an apartment, but I really wanted to buy a house.  I had absolutely no idea how to get there from the mountain of debt I currently lived on.

Well, in August 2011, I moved into my very own house.  Sure, the bank owns more of it than I do, but it's still my very own place. I am also consumer debt free and have been for a 2 years.

How was I able to get here from the sizable mess I'd gotten myself into?  Gail Vaz-Oxlade.  Who you ask?  Gail Vaz-Oxlade.  She was able to help me get out of debt.  No, I have NEVER met her, but hope to one day, nor have I ever had a conversation with her by any means.


About 4 years ago, my father told me about this show he was watching that was really good at helping people in debt.   Now, I know my parents aren't in debt so I guess I really wasn't hiding my problems very well. 

Gail is currently the host of a few shows on tv that are aimed at helping people out of their debt.  The first one is 'Til Debt do us part and the other one I watch is Princess.  She also has a very helpful website here

If you have never watched either of these, you really should.  She goes through everyone's finances and tells them exactly how they can get out of the debt they're in and still feel like they're living.

My big problem was thinking I had to give up everything and live like a hermit in order to get myself out of debt and into my house.  I was wrong.


With nothing other than the will to do it and the tools that Gail provides both on the shows and her website, I was able to finally get myself out of the mess I was in.  There was no more roller coaster rides of paying off part of the debt only to spend it again on things I thought I "needed".  Thankfully I have some wonderful friends and family who have helped me stay the course especially since my road trips with my friend were now probably cancelled for a while.

Granted, it really is NOT easy to stay on the correct path.  I've had many relapses as recently as last month, but I'm able to get myself straightened back out quickly enough.   I haven't carried a balance on my credit cards in over two years.  I do what I have to to make sure everything gets paid. 

As a bonus, I was also able to keep my season tickets to the Ottawa Senators. (hence the reason there are no more road trips). 

Things are tight now and probably will be for the foreseeable future, but it is so freeing to know that other than your house, you have no other debt.

I'm an open book so if anyone else out there is struggling, I'm willing to share what I've gone through and how Gail Vaz-Oxlade really can help.

Til we meet again

Julie / @Flip_4

No comments:

Post a Comment